- An exercise routine may not always be easy to keep up with or followed
- Health experts recommend exercising to be made an important part of lifestyle
- With the pressure of work creeping in, various working professionals find it hard to be consistent with their exercise routine
New Delhi: How often have you come across people expressing their concern for their inconsistent fitness schedule due to their busy work life? Or perhaps, are you one of those people? It is common among adults to not get adequate amounts of time to carry out a consistent fitness schedule. The reasons could be varied ranging from unavailability of time due to busy work life or lack of energy and wanting to spend time with family when free. Being physically active is an essential step towards holistic health. So what can be done to find a fitness and work-life balance?
Fitness and work-life – Finding a way
Here are some ways in which you can sneak fitness into your busy schedule:
- Make the commute healthier: It’s time to ditch the car and take a bicycle to work. Cycling can not only help you stay fit, but it is also environmentally friendly. If the distance is not an issue, you may also consider walking to the workplace.
- Workout with family: Spending time with family is essential, despite having a busy work life. To make family time more fun and ensure their health, plan a regular family workout routine that everyone can carry out together. This way you will not miss out on the precious bonding moments or your health.
- Run or walk your errands: While running errands, be it to the bank or the grocery store, try jogging or walking instead of taking a vehicle. This can help you compensate for your workout routine loss and aid fitness.
- Wake up early: If you rise early, you may be able to free some time from your schedule and use it to exercise. Furthermore, a recent study published in JAMA Network titled “Genetically Proxied Diurnal Preference, Sleep Timing, and Risk of Major Depressive Disorder”, waking up early May also help reduce the risk of depression. This, however, does not mean that you should miss out on your sleep. Ensure a healthy 6-8 hours of sleep every day.
- Work from home benefits: With the workplace shift due to COVID-19, more people have resorted to a work from home schedule. You can slide in yoga, mediation, and low to mild intensity work-out activities in between breaks and meetings.